AIH Awards 2015
Melbourne hosted the 55th AIH Annual National Awards night (Thursday 17th September) for professional horticulturists across Australia. The Australian Institute of Horticulture (AIH) attracted interstate and international professionals who are at the forefront of their industry in research, cultivation, horticultural media, design and management of plants in urban, rural and environmental situations. MC for the night was Don Burke.
- Certificate of Appreciation – Michael Casey, Marc Percival, Annette Irish, Diane Ellis, David Strickland, Mathew Pearson, Chris Poulton, Tom Lantry and Patrick Regnault
- Award of Merit – Kerri Young; Joint winners Lisa Ellis & Mark Browning
- Award of Excellence – Spencer Denyer, Patrick Regnault, Matt Mitchley, John Tan
- Community Award of Excellence – Michael Casey
- AIH Secretary’s Award for Horticulture Literature – Simon Leake & Elke Haege for ‘Soils for Landscape Development’
- AIH Student of the Year Award – Tessa Maunder
- AIH Horticulturist of the Year – Stuart Pittendrigh
- AIH Fellowship citation – Nicholas Rivett
- Silver Gum Award – Neville Passmore
- Golden Wattle Award – Peter Cundall
Certificate of Appreciation is awarded to members of AIH who have donated extensive time to represent AIH on industry advisory committees and/or who have enhanced the reputation and professional development of AIH members. Recipients are:
Group photo of the recipients of Certificate of Appreciation 2015.
- Michael Casey MAIH, RH – Victorian Regional Convenor
- Marc Percival MAIH, RH – NSW mid North Coast Regional Convenor
- Annette Irish FAIH, RH – Queensland Regional Convenor
- Diane Ellis MAIL, RH – NSW Southern Highlands Regional Convenor
- David Strickland MAIH, RH – Western Australia Regional Convenor
- Mathew Pearson MAIH, RH – South Australia Regional Convenor
- Chris Poulton MAIH, RH – Sydney Regional Convenor
- Tom Lantry FAIH, RH – NSW Hunter Regional Convenor
- Patrick Regnault MAIH, RH – Northern NSW Regional Convenor
More about the Certificate of Appreciation award
Award of Merit was presented to Kerri Young for her commitment in developing strong industry networks.
Andrew Prowse (AIH Vice President) presenting the Award of Merit for Kerri Young to Glenice Batchelor on Kerri’s behalf.
Lisa Ellis & Mark Browning
Award of Merit was presented to Lisa Ellis & Mark Browning in recognition of Gold and Best in Show at MIFGS2015 for the garden creation ‘Quietude’.
2015 Award of Merit for Lisa Ellis and Mark Browning
Spencer Denyer, MAIH, RH
Award of Excellence for the work on the Registered Horticulturist program and industry commitment in Victoria.
2015 Award of Excellence Spencer Denyer
Patrick Regnault, MAIH, RH
Award of Excellence for advancement of the horticultural industry in Northern New South Wales.
2015 Award of Excellence – Patrick Regnault
Matt Mitchley AAIH, RH
Award of Excellence in recognition of the design, construction and establishment of ‘The Jurassica Project’.
2015 Award of Excellence – Matt Mitchley
Tan Chee Hian John (John Tan) MAIH, RH, CPH (Singapore)
Award of Excellence in achieving Silver Gilt award for display garden ‘the Hidden Beauty of Kranji’ at Chelsea Flower Show 2015.
2015 Award of Excellence -John Tan
Michael Casey MAIH, RH
Community Award of Excellence was presented to Michael Casey for the project Catholic Regional College -Sydenham.
2015 Community Award of Excellence winner Michael Casey with AIH President Wayne Van Balen
Simon Leake & Elke Haege
AIH Secretary’s Award for Horticulture Literature was presented to Simon and Elke for their book ‘Soils for Landscape Development’.
2015 AIH Secretary’s Award for Excellence in Literature to Simon Leake and Elke Haege for the book ‘
AIH Student of the Year Award was won by Tessa Maunder.
From left: Chris Poulton (AIH), Tessa Mauder, Don Burke, Andrew Price (AIH Treasurer) and award sponsor Anwen Lovett (CEO Agrifood Skills Australia).
Stuart Pittendrigh MAIH, RH
AIH Horticulturist of the Year was presented to Stuart Pittendrigh for his committed work on the Barangaroo Headland project in Sydney.
2015 Australian Horticulturist of the Year Stuart Pittendrigh with Leigh Heinrichs (representing award sponsor Fitzpatrick Co Insurance Brokers P/L).
Nicholas Rivett FAIH, RH
Fellow citation was awarded to Nicholas Rivette for his extensive years of dedication to AIH and the broader horticultural industry.
Fellow recipient Nicholas Rivett accepting his citation and medal from AIH President Wayne Van Balen.
Neville Passmore MAIH, RH
Silver Gum Award was a special award presented AIH member for extensive services to industry.
Silver Gum Award 2015 winner Neville Passmore with award sponsor Elizabeth Smith from Horticultural Training P/L
Golden Wattle Award was present to Peter Cundall. This is the highest award of industry recognition to be given to a horticulturist whose practice has advanced the profession of horticulture in Australia through sustained exemplary conduct as a professional horticulturist.
Peter Cundall winner of the Golden Wattle Award 2015 with National President Wayne Van Balen in Melbourne. Presented to Peter in October.
Citations for the awards night program were compiled by Annette Irish, A.I.M.S Pty Ltd.
The evening was organised by Jeanette Penklis.
SPONSORS OF THE 2015 AWARDS NIGHT
- Fitzpatrick & Co Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd – Horticulturist of the Year
- Agrifood Skills Australia – Horticulture Student of the Year
- Horticultural Training P/L – Silver Gum Award
- A.I.M.S. P/L AustralAsia & Van Balen Horticultural – Golden Wattle Award
- Greenworld – Awards night promotion
- Landscape Link – Plants
- Martin Kellock – Pots and Planters
- MJC Horticulture – Support and set up
- Justine Carlile Landscape Design – Support and set up